Salad Olivieh, made with chicken and potatoes is a Persian spin on the Russian Olivier salad. A popular dish that is very satisfying and can be served as lunch, appetizer or a side.
Table of Contents
Persian Chicken Salad
Salad-e-Olivieh is the Persian version of Olivier salad which originated in Russia. Both versions have pretty much the same main ingredients.
But the Persian chicken salad tends to be a bit more creamier. And it is often presented quiet artistically. The Russian Olivier salad has more texture with the vegetables still holding prominence in form and appearance.
Persian salad olivieh is like a meal, full of chicken, potatoes, eggs and many other vegetables.
Olivieh Salad Recipe Ingredients
- Chicken: Use Bone-in chicken breast or thigh with skin removed.
- Potatoes: I like using yellow gold potatoes for their balance in starchiness, flavor and texture.
- Eggs: Choose pasture raised eggs when possible.
- Other vegetables and herbs: These include onions, carrots, green peas, celery, green onions and parsley.
- Cucumber pickles: Finely chopped pickles add tiny bursts of tart flavor. Choose savory pickles rather than the sweet version.
- Olives: You can use green or black olives.
- Mayonnaise: The salad tends to be heavy so I use avocado oil based mayonnaise or lighter versions.
- Dijon Mustard: Some recipes do not include this. I use the one that is not alcohol based. You can also try spicy mustard.
- Olive oil: I use extra virgin olive oil
- Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar works well, but any white vinegar will be fine too.
- Lime juice, salt and pepper.
How to Make Olivieh Salad
Brief overview below. *Full recipe at the end of blog post. Recipes vary in each family. So, adapt it to your taste.
- Cook Chicken: Place chicken, onions and salt in a pot. Cover and cook until well done. Cool, debone and chop. Reserve broth for later.
- Boil Eggs and Vegetables: Take potatoes, and eggs in a large cooking pot and cover with water. Bring it to a boil, lower the heat and simmer. Take eggs out after 10 minutes and cook potatoes until fork tender.
- Carrots and Peas: Steam the carrots. Shell or thaw the peas, add to the steamer and turn off the heat.
- Prep Other Ingredients: Chop the other vegetables, herbs, pickles and olives.
- Dressing: Whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- Assemble: Cool and cut cooked vegetables and eggs. Add to the other ingredients. Pour dressing and combine.
- Serve it as a mound and decorate.
- Cook the vegetables ahead and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Drain the thawed peas, cucumber pickles and olives very well before adding to the salad. Use paper towels to absorb the excess water if needed.
- Add the dressing just before serving for a fresh tasting salad.
- For evenly sized vegetables, use a vegetable chopper.
How to Serve Olivieh Salad
- As a Salad: Line a round bowl with cling wrap and fill with the salad. Invert it over a plate and peel away the cling wrap. Decorate it with carved vegetables. This can make a stunning dish on a dinner table.
- Sandwiches/Wraps: Spread it between whole grain sandwich bread or roll it up with lavash as wraps.
- Salad olivieh will be a great addition to a barbecue, picnic or holiday menu.
Persian olivieh salad is often served as a smooth round mound and beautifully decorated.
Persian chicken salad is high protein, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, soy free and grain free.
- Vegan: Skip the chicken and eggs and use vegan mayonnaise. You can replace with chickpeas.
- Egg Free: Do not use the eggs. Use chickpeas if you like.
- Lower-Carb: This is a carb-rich salad. You can try replacing some potatoes with steamed cauliflower. Or increase the other vegetables.
- Low Sodium: Lower the salt and use more lime juice and herbs for flavor.
- Add Sausage: You can chop sausage and add it for a variation.
- Cook the chicken, potatoes, carrots and eggs ahead. Chop the vegetables and herbs earlier.
- Prepare the dressing ahead.
Storage and Leftovers
This salad can be refrigerated for 2 days. Without the dressing, the salad ingredients can be stored for 5 days.
No, this salad does not freeze well. Potatoes are starchy and do not retain texture when frozen. The mayo also does not freeze well.
Try using sour cream or creme fraiche.
Persian chicken salad is very filling and is like a meal prepared with chicken, potatoes, eggs and other vegetables.
Chicken is an excellent source of high quality protein and a great alternative to red meat. It also provides niacin, selenium, phosphorus and vitamin B6.
Potatoes are a source of complex carbohydrates and carrots are rich in beta-carotene.
For only about 70 calories, eggs are a great source of high quality protein. They also provide antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, that are good for eye health.
More Salad Recipes
- Vegan German Potato Salad
- Yogurt Chickpea Salad with Chips
- Spicy Lentil Salad with Avocado
- Mediterranean Three Bean Salad
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE COMMENT AND GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!
Salad Olivieh (Chicken Potato Salad)
- 1 pound chicken breast or thigh, with bone, no skin
- 1 large onion peeled, finely chopped
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound yellow potatoes
- 5 large eggs
- 3 carrots peeled
- 2 cups green peas fresh or frozen
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 4 dill pickles large, finely chopped
- ½ cup pitted olives green or black, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley or dill
- Carved vegetables
- Green onions or lettuce
- Fresh herbs
- Cook Chicken: Place chicken, onions, salt and 1 cup water in a large cooking pot. Cover and cook at low-medium until well done and falling off the bone, about 1 hour. Allow to cool the chicken, debone and chop. Reserve leftover broth for later.
- Boil: Take potatoes, and eggs in a large cooking pot and cover with water. Bring it to a rolling boil, lower the heat and simmer. Take eggs out after 10 minutes and cook potatoes until fork tender.
- Carrots and Peas: Steam the carrots for five minutes. Shell or thaw the peas, add to the steamer and turn off the heat. Let cool.
- Prepare Other Ingredients: Transfer the other prepared vegetables, herbs, pickles, olives and peas to a large salad bowl.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, mayonnaise, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Assemble: Cool, peel and cut potatoes, eggs and carrots. Add to the other ingredients in salad bowl. Pour dressing and toss well to combine. Adjust seasonings as per taste and chill.
- Serve the salad as a mound and decorate with carved vegetables, lettuce, radish and herbs. Add some lavash or French baguette on the side.
- Cucumber pickles: Choose savory pickles rather than the sweet version.
- Make Ahead: Cook the chicken, potatoes, carrots and eggs ahead. Chop the vegetables and herbs earlier. And prepare the dressing ahead.
- Storage and Leftovers: This salad can be refrigerated for 2 days. Without the dressing, the salad ingredients can be stored for 5 days. Olivieh salad does not freeze well.
- For more information on ingredients, variations and serving suggestions, scroll up the page to the blog post.