Creamy leek avocado soup is a velvety bowl of goodness. Easy to make and full of flavor, this leeks soup is vegetarian, gluten free, fiber rich, and with healthy fats!
Leek Avocado Soup
Call it creamy, silky, velvety......whatever you want! But this leek avocado soup will convince the most defiant critic of using healthier food swaps. Some people think that healthy means to compromise a little on taste. But you will absolutely not miss the heavy cream in this creamy soup.
Avocados are such a wonder fruit. So amazingly healthy and enticingly tasty. It is like a vegetable infused butter with a coconut like aftertaste, growing on trees. I have been experimenting with it and creating a lot of interesting recipes. Stay tuned for more to come.
- Make sure to not over cook the leeks. That will help retain the nutrients and the bright color.
- I used a chicken stock that was mildly spiced with cardamom, cloves, cinnamon etc. The aroma from the spices was faint but it gave a touch of eastern flavor that went well with the other ingredients, such as, cilantro, turmeric and bay leaves. But you can of course spice the chicken stock the way your prefer too.
- Leeks have dirt in the inner part of the greens. Cut off the green part from the root end of the leeks and rinse them well in water.
- Choose avocados that yield to gentle pressure. You could also peel back the small cap on the top of the avocado. And if it comes off easily and is green underneath, then that is a good avocado.
Avocados are a great source of heart healthy monounsaturated fats. This fruit contains natural plant sterols known as beta-sitosterol. Regular consumption of this plant sterol is associated with maintenance of healthy cholesterol levels.
Avocados also contain the phytochemicals lutein and zeaxanthin, which are important for eye health. They are a great source of vitamin K - important for bone health. And this fruit with a smooth texture, is interestingly a good source of dietary fiber, folic acid, vitamin C, vitamin E, certain B vitamins and omega-3 fats.
I love leeks. They are so delicious in soups, stews, vegetable pies and many other dishes. In my younger days in India, I was not familiar with leeks, but took to it so easily when I was first introduced to it. They have a great flavor and taste. If you have not cooked recipes with this vegetable, make sure to try this leeks soup.
Leeks belong to the allium family of vegetables that also include onions, garlic, green onions and chives. They are a good source of heart healthy flavonoids and antioxidant polyphenols.
Here is an easy and delicious way of cooking leeks with eggs and tomatoes - Moroccan eggs in tomato sauce recipe.
More Avocado Based Recipes:
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE COMMENT AND GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!
Creamy Leek Avocado Soup
- 4½ cups leeks chopped
- 1 potato organic, medium, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice adjust per taste
- 1 avocado large, ripe
- Add the chopped leeks, potato, bay leaves, chicken stock, salt and pepper to a cooking pot. Bring it to a boil and then simmer it for about 10 minutes.
- Add cilantro and simmer couple more minutes. Do not overcook, but make sure that the potato is cooked. Discard the bay leaves.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh and put it in a blender. Use just enough of the soup contents to make a smooth puree with avocado.
- Put the remaining soup with vegetables into the blender and combine it into a creamy consistency. Adjust salt, pepper, lemon juice as per taste.
- For the topping, heat the olive oil and sauté the sliced onion to a crisp brown, add turmeric right before turning off the heat. This will ensure that the turmeric does not get burnt.
- Ladle the creamy leek avocado soup into a serving bowl and top it with crisp onions and turmeric olive oil. Alternatively you may use crisp matchstick potatoes, crunchy roasted chickpeas or croutons as a topping.
Now this is different! The flavors/ingredients sound like this is pretty tasty!
Yes Colleen. It is. Thanks.
I adore avocados, so I'm willing to bet this soup is amazing!
Thank you Lisa. Yes it is so easy and pretty delicious. Hope you try it.
Yes Lisa it certainly is. Hope you try it! Thanks.
So delicious! I used sweet potato, and finished with the turmeric fried onion and regular croutons for the kids, and everyone was a fan! Three teen girls, they all said they wanted it for school lunch;) My oldest said I should put more potato in it:)- she loves her carbs! Very satiating- soup alone (actually with some crispy roasted broccoli) was Dinner!
Thanks for the lovely feedback.
Now that the weather is cooler, I'm always looking for new soup recipes. You seriously can't go wrong with avocado. Thanks!
Thanks Cindy. You are absolutely right. Avocado is such a wonder fruit.
Exactly Cindy. Avocado is marvelous.
Such a hearty and nutritious soup. I love leeks and avocado but have never had a combination of the two in a soup. Sounds yum.
Thanks Veena. Hope you try it. And enjoy!
Thanks Veena. The combo is really so good.
I would never have thought of using that much leeks! Love it! Perfect time of year for it too!
Thanks Lisa. I absolutely love leeks too.
Yes great time to have warm soups.
Actually i don't know cooking . But seeing your blog makes me realize that i am missing some wonderful experience in life. Amazing stuff i must say. I am a foodie so i can vouch for the taste and health aspect of the food which looks traditional and unique as well. Great going and will surely try my hand in one of the above recipes.
Thanks so much for your inspiring comment. Nice to know you are a foodie. As you can seen I am one :). I appreciate your encouragement and visit.