Refreshing date shakes that are packed with flavor and nutrients. Cool and creamy, these delicious drinks come in different flavors. With no added sugar, they are a great choice for dessert, snack or even breakfast.
Healthy Date Shakes
The first time I had a really good date shake was in Saudi Arabia, on a visit there. It was so good, thick like an ice cream shake, and addictive. We kept going back to get it every day.
But those shakes had a special caramel flavor, unlike other date shakes I had. Turns out they were made with Sukkary dates, that are popular there, but can be easily ordered online or at middle eastern stores.
So, I set out creating my own date shakes and made them in many flavors. And you can customize it to your own taste as well. I also found that many date varieties will work for this date shake recipe.
Date shakes are quick and easy to make. Packed with protein, fiber, potassium, calcium and vitamin A. So tasty and nourishing!
Table of Contents
Date Shake Ingredients
Here are some notes on the ingredients. But, you don’t need all of the following for each date shake. Check recipe card below for the quantities.
- Dates: Choose soft and moist dates such as medjool or sukkari. Medjool will give a darker color. Sukkary dates are lighter in color and have a distinct caramel flavor. If the dates are hard, soak them in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes until softened.
- Milk: Dairy milk, nut based or other plant based milks are ok. Milk should be very cold. Frozen milk will work like ice, thickening the shake, but will melt away sooner.
- Thickeners: Moist dates do thicken the milk, but you will need additional thickener. Ice thickens a shake, but also melts away and thins it out. Restaurant quality shakes are often thickened with ice cream or heavy cream. But healthier options are Greek yogurt that is not tangy, oats, chia seeds, avocado, banana. Use white chia for a lighter colored drink. Banana will add its own flavor, so choose the flavors accordingly.
- Flavors: Here I have chosen cardamom, cinnamon, rose water, and saffron with almond. But you can choose other flavors too.
- Other ingredients: To make the pistachio date shake more green, use a few baby spinach leaves. It does not alter the taste. Avocado is another option.
- Toppings: Sliced or slivered nuts, date slices, rose petals, foamed milk, whipped cream, cinnamon stick.
- Salt: A pinch of salt will enhance the sweetness and flavors.
Tools and Equipment
- High speed blender: For a smooth and thick shake
- Tall glasses
- Straws: Use smoothie straws, especially if you plan to add finely crushed nuts to the drinks.
- Long Handle Spoons: Have these available if need to stir the drinks.
How to Make A Date Shake
Below is a brief overview. Full recipe is at the end of the blog post.
- Flavors: Choose any of the following options.
- Cardamom Cashew: Ground cardamom with cashew butter.
- Rose Pistachio: Rose water with unsalted pistachios. These delightful nuts also make the best gelato.
- Saffron Almond: Drops of saffron water, almonds and a dash of almond flavor.
- Cinnamon Pecan: Ground cinnamon with pecans.
- Blend: Take chosen flavor ingredients, dates, milk, pinch of salt and thickener in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Use cold or frozen ingredients: The milk should be chilled very well. Using frozen ingredients also thickens the shake.
- High speed blender: This is a must for a thick and creamy shake. If you dont have that, try to process the dates into a smooth paste before blending.
- Enjoy it fresh: Blend and serve it immediately.
Soaking hard dates will soften the skin, rehydrate and make it easier to blend.
Variations and Substitutions
These date shakes are vegetarian, gluten free, egg free, soy free and grain free.
- Vegan and Dairy Free: Use plant based milk.
- Nut Free: Try using sunflower seed butter, tahini or coconut cream/butter.
- Higher Protein: I am not a fan of protein powders, but for certain needs, adding whey or plant protein powders is an option.
How To Serve
- Pour in tall glasses and decorate with toppings. Serve with smoothie straws.
- Enjoy it as a dessert drink, snack or at breakfast.
Meal Prep & Storage
There is not much prep involved. You can chop the dates if needed. And if the dates are hard, soak them in warm water until softened.
Fresh shakes are best. Refrigerated leftovers can be enjoyed for couple days. Stir before serving.
Dates Shake Benefits
These date shakes are a delicious and satisfying ‘no-added sugar’ dessert drink that are high in protein, fiber, calcium, potassium and vitamin A.
Dates are high in fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and a good source of niacin, calcium, phosphorus, iron and polyphenols. Hence, are a healthy alternative to refined sugar.
Milk is a rich source of protein, calcium, phosphorus, B vitamins, potassium and vitamin D. And supports bone health, heart health, muscle building , etc. Choose grass fed milk for better nutrition.
Nuts are a great source of protein, fiber, healthy fats and antioxidants. Chia seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, phosphorus, manganese, calcium and also provide protein.
More Delicious Beverages
Here are some options to try on the blog.
- Healthy Hot Chocolate (With Walnut Milk)
- Ayran (Turkish Yogurt Drink)
- Peach Smoothies (4 Ways)
- Rose Avocado Smoothie
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE COMMENT AND GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!
Date Shakes (4 Ways)
- 4 medjool dates or sukkary dates, pitted
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt see note for other options
- 2 cups milk dairy or plant based, chilled
- 2 pinches salt
4 FLAVORS (pick one)
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ cup pistachios unsalted
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- 2 tablespoons baby spinach optional, for color
- ¼ cup almonds unsalted
- ¼ teaspoon saffron ground, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract optional
- ¼ cup pecans
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sliced or slivered nuts, date slices, rose petals, foamed milk, whipped cream, cinnamon stick
- Long Handle Spoons optional
- Take the dates, yogurt (or thickener of choice), milk and salt in a high speed blender. Tip: Use lighter color sukkary dates for rose-pistachio flavor.
- Choose a flavor and add the relevant ingredients (nuts or nut butter and flavors). Blend it at high speed until very smooth.
- Adjust the consistency, sweetness and flavor as per taste. Add more thickeners for thicker shake; more milk to dilute it or extra dates to make it sweeter.
- Pour in tall glasses and decorate with toppings. Serve with smoothie straws.
- Dates: Choose soft and moist dates such as medjool or sukkari. Medjool dates will give a darker color. Sukkary dates are lighter in color and have a distinct caramel flavor. These are available online or at middle eastern stores.
- Thickeners: Restaurant quality shakes are often thickened with ice cream or heavy cream. Healthier options are Greek yogurt that is not tangy, oats, chia seeds, avocado, banana. Banana will also add its own flavor. Use white chia for a lighter colored drink.
- Make Ahead: Chop the dates if needed. Soak hard dates in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes to soften them.
- Storage: Fresh shakes are best. Refrigerated leftovers will be ok for couple of days. Stir before serving.
- Nutrition facts are an approximate based on rose pistachio flavor.
- For other tips and variations, scroll up the page to the blog post.
No sugar added!? Yes please! Thank you for including the variations such as different thickeners and flavor options. What a great post!
So many wonderful options! All look delicious but the cinnamon pecan one is calling my name! Trying that one first!
That one is so good too.
I love using dates as the sweetener on my smoothies, and I have them every day. This post came in very handy. I tried the option with pistachios so far and it was very good!
So glad you like it.
So many ways to prepare a great date shake. I am in love with the rose pistachios version.
I love that too!
Date shakes are my favorite and I so love the spices you have added into this one - so aromatic and delicious!