Easy aloo gobi recipe that will give you amazingly flavorful bites of cauliflower and potatoes that are tender with crisp edges and still hold their shape. Roasted in the oven but tastes authentic and delicious. A no-fuss recipe with minimal cooking effort. No soggy sad looking mush!
Table of Contents
What is Aloo Gobi?
Aloo gobi is a very popular and simple Indian dish prepared with cauliflower, potatoes, spices and aromatics. Commonly found on menus around the world, "aloo" means potatoes, while "gobi" means cauliflower in Hindi and Urdu.
It is made in a variety of ways, some that result in a soft, comforting, fall-apart quality and others that use fried vegetables with an attempt to hold some of the texture. Aloo gobi can be prepared with or without onion and tomatoes.
Why This Recipe Works
I have been making this in the oven for years and absolutely love it.
- It is so easy. Just throw in all the ingredients, mix them up and roast.
- Tender and nicely spiced vegetables that still retain a texture.
- The vegetables aren’t dry and hold just the right amount of moisture, so that keeps the taste authentic.
- I can make large quantities at a time and don’t have to stand at the stove cooking. So it works great for parties too. Like our Indian cabbage recipe.
- No mushy and unappetizing looking aloo gobi! Appearance is important — we eat with our eyes too!
What You Need
- Cauliflower: Cut them into bite size and uniform florets.
- Potatoes: Russet potatoes will give a softer bite. Yukon gold or red potatoes will give a firmer bite. Cut in bite size and keep the skin on if using organic.
- Tomatoes: They add a pop of color and taste. I used grape tomato halves as I like some bite in my veggies. If you want them to disintegrate a bit into the dish like the traditional version, then use sliced and diced soft and juicy tomatoes and toss well with other ingredients.
- Shallots: Slice them neither too thick nor too thin. You could also use sliced red onions.
- Whole Spices: Cumin seeds and nigella seeds. These toast quite well in the oven. Nigella seeds (black seeds or kalonji) are not typical in most recipes, but I think it adds a nice flavor and also appearance.
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves: Also known as kasuri methi, this is not a common ingredient but it adds a depth of flavor.
- Lime juice: If you don’t like aloo gobi to be a bit tangy, you can skip this.
- Ground spices: chili powder, turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala.
- Other Ingredients: grated ginger, grated Garlic, cilantro, green chilies, olive oil, salt.
How to Make Aloo Gobi In Oven
- Cut the vegetables.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oil, ginger, garlic, spices, dried fenugreek leaves, lime juice, and salt.
- Add cauliflower, potatoes, tomatoes, shallots, green chilies and stir to coat the vegetables well.
- Spread the vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake. Add cilantro, lime juice, stir and serve.
Some tips for a flavorful and filling aloo gobi.
- Dont skimp on the spices.
- Cut the vegetables uniformly, but the cauliflower florets can be slightly larger than the cut potatoes.
- If you like it well roasted as in western style, then scatter the vegetables a bit far apart.
- If they are packed too compactly in a layer then they will not roast well on the edges and turn out more moist like the skillet aloo gobi.
What to Serve Along
- This is awesome with dal and rice.
- Or flatbreads such as paratha, spring onion paratha, naan.
- Serve it as a side with chicken korma or egg curry.
- Skip tomato and/or onions if you prefer.
- Cook the onion and tomato masala on the stove and add the oven roasted vegetables. This may be closer in technique to the traditional version, while giving you better textured vegetables.
Meal Prep & Storage
- You can chop all the vegetables ahead of time. Make the spice-oil mixture earlier as well.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for 4 to 5 days. I prefer not to freeze cooked potatoes dishes. But cooked cauliflower freezes well.
Is Aloo Gobi Healthy?
Actually it depends on how it is prepared. Recipes that require deep frying the vegetables will make the dish too rich.
Overcooked vegetables also may lose some of their nutrients. Not to mention the loss of taste!
But otherwise, this is a pretty healthy dish full of vegetables. It is also gluten free, vegan, dairy free, egg free, nut free and soy free.
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable well known for its phytochemical content, antioxidant and cancer preventive potential. It is low in calories but very high in nutrients. Rich in vitamin C and a good source of fiber, vitamin K, vitamin B-6, folate, potassium and choline.
More Cauliflower Recipes
- Spicy Lemon Cauliflower Rice
- Low Carb French Onion Pizza
- Cauliflower stuffed meatballs
- Vegetable Upma with Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Couscous with Lamb Stew
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE COMMENT AND GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!
Easy Aloo Gobi Recipe
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger
- ½ tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves kasuri methi
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon chili powder Kashmiri chili is milder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon black seeds optional, also known as nigella seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust per taste
- 1 medium cauliflower cut in small florets, 5 cups
- 2 potatoes medium, cut in 1 by ¾ inch sticks, 2 cups
- ¾ cup grape tomatoes cut in halves, see note
- ½ cup sliced shallots or red onion
- 1 green chili sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl, combine olive oil, ginger, garlic, dried fenugreek leaves, ground coriander, garam masala, chili powder, cumin seeds, black seeds, turmeric and salt to form a smooth mixture.
- Add cauliflower, potatoes, tomatoes, shallots and green chilies into the mixing bowl and toss to coat well with the spice mixture, using your hands if needed. Spread the vegetables in an even layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Roast aloo gobi for about 25 to 30 minutes until the vegetables turn brown and crispy on the edges, making sure to toss them half the way through roasting. Check to make sure vegetables are cooked well and glistening with oil on the surface.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Adjust the seasoning and let cool.
- How you layer the aloo gobi is important. If the vegetables are scattered too far apart, they will roast a bit more like western style roasted vegetables. If they are packed too compactly in a layer then they will not roast well on the edges and turn out more moist like the skillet aloo gobi.
- You can skip the tomatoes if you prefer. Grape tomatoes will retain a bite even after roasting. If you prefer the tomatoes to soften and blend into the dish, then use soft and juicy tomatoes.
- For more information on ingredients, variations and serving suggestions, scroll up the page to the blog post.
More Roasted Vegetable Recipes
This post was first published on 6th March 2020 and has been updated with video, process pictures, recipe formatting, tips and additional enhancements.