Spicy Rosemary Tomato Chicken – Rosemary, aromatic eastern spices and hot peppers in a rich tomato gravy make a great flavor combination for tasty chicken!!
Don’t be fooled by this simple looking dish. Try it to savor its unique taste. I picked up this idea from my father in law – A vascular surgeon by profession, but who could give many a chef a run for their money. Seriously, no kidding!
The star ingredient that captivates my attention today is rosemary. An herb indigenous to the Mediterranean and popularly used in Italian, French and Spanish cuisine – rosemary is not just about its intense and fragrant aroma. It has amazing health and medicinal benefits.
Rosemary has substances that can stimulate the immune system, circulation and improve digestion. It has compounds that can increase the blood flow to the brain, thereby improving the concentration.
Widely used in traditional medicine, rosemary has been known as the herb of remembrance. There are studies that reveal the potential therapeutic benefit of rosemary for Alzheimer’s disease.
Most of the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic activities, and neuroprotective effects of the rosemary plant are attributed to the abietane-type phenolic diterpenes, which are considered the most important group of compounds that have been isolated from the plant.
Research studies have indicated that constituents of Rosemary – Rosmanol, cirsimaritin and salvigenin have demonstrated antidepressant, antinociceptive (reduction in sensitivity to pain), and anxiolytic (reduction in anxiety) effects.
The characteristic taste of this chicken dish comes from the combination of rosemary, eastern spices, hot peppers and a rich tomato gravy. It is important to sear the chicken very well at medium high temperature. The preferred spice blend to use would be a mix from the eastern Mediterranean region or the middle east.
Although rosemary has been typically used in the cuisines of southern European regions, here you will see that this herb scrumptiously blends with eastern spices in this spicy rosemary tomato chicken.
Photography above: bijansviewfinder.com
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE COMMENT AND GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!
Spicy Rosemary Tomato Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (cut and clean, no skin)
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onion yellow, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes chopped
- 1 to 2 Serrano peppers (adjust per taste)
- 1 teaspoon Advieh (Persian spice mix or substitue*)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin ground
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons rosemary fresh or 2 teaspoons dried
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (adjust per taste)
- Pepper to taste
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron pot. Season chicken with some salt and pepper.
- Sear the chicken pieces on both the sides at medium high heat, until golden brown. Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and set aside
- Heat the remaining oil in the same cast iron pot. Add the sliced onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the grated garlic and stir a few minutes. Then add the tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add rest of the ingredients and stir well. Finally add the seared chicken along with any juices and stir.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and adjust if needed to add a little more.
- Once the gravy starts to bubble, lower the heat and let it simmer for about 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked well.
- May garnish with chopped parsley. Serve this spicy rosemary tomato chicken with rice or bread and salad.