Tahini Creamed Yellow Squash with Caramelized Shallots, a flavor and nutrient packed alternative to mashed potatoes that is lower in carbs, high in fiber and healthy fats!
I served this awesome velvety creamed squash with this Spicy Seared Fish with Tamarind Sauce and it was a big hit. I am often on the lookout for experimentation and it is not always a total success in the very first attempt. This one though, worked out like a charm.
This Tahini Creamed Yellow Squash with Caramelized Shallots has an intense taste of the squash along with the rich flavor of tahini. And it is quite easy to prepare. When paired with a scrumptious pan seared fish it can make a quick and healthy meal that will make you think that you have been transported to a nice Mediterranean restaurant.
And now for the Nutrition Nuggets
When compared to traditional mashed potatoes, this creamed squash has 30 percent fewer carbohydrates, double the amount of fiber and has mostly healthy fats. Whereas mashed potatoes is traditionally prepared with butter or cream, here I have used Tahini – a ground sesame paste with amazing health benefits.
Yellow squash is an excellent source of manganese and copper; a very good source of vitamin C, fiber, potassium, vitamin K, folate and vitamin B6; and a good source of certain B vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids, zinc, calcium, iron etc. As a watery vegetable with good amount of fiber it provides bulk to the meal while being low in calories.
It is a good source of anti-inflammatory carotenoids such as lutein and zeaxanthin, that are protective against age related macular degeneration and cataracts. The skin of the yellow squash is considered to be antioxidant rich, so it is advisable to purchase the organic vegetable and utilize the skin in your cooking as much as possible.
While you are at it, do you want to squash a couple more easy, spicy and tasty recipes? Then check out my Coconut Cumin Ginger Roasted Butternut Squash and Spaghetti Squash Vermicelli Chicken Biryani.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds yellow squash organic
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic grated
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1/2 cup shallots chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts roasted (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (Aleppo variety) or paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon zaatar
- Few pinches sumac (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrub the surface of the organic yellow squash using a vegetable brush. Rinse and wipe dry.
- Brush a few drops of olive oil on the yellow squash, prick with a fork and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast for about 20 to 25 minutes until done. It is well done when a fork can be pierced through easily.
- May peel away about half the skin from the squash and discard. The retained outer skin will give the mash a slightly coarse texture. Less skin - less coarseness and vice versa.
- Cut the roasted yellow squash into pieces and drain the juices out through a colander. For a firmer creamed squash, squeeze it out as much as possible, otherwise the mash will be like a thin puree. A little bit of the collected liquid may be used while pureeing, if and as needed.
- Puree the drained yellow squash, tahini, grated garlic, lemon juice and salt in a food processor until very smooth and creamy.
- Check the seasonings and adjust. Transfer the creamed squash into a serving bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a small sauté pan. Add the chopped shallots, sauté until golden brown and caramelized. Spoon the caramelized shallots all over on the top of the creamed squash.
- Garnish with roasted pine nuts and a sprinkle of zaatar and red pepper flakes or paprika.
- Serve the Tahini Creamed Yellow Squash with Caramelized Shallots immediately. It pairs well with broiled/Seared fish, roasted chicken or even a thick gravy meat dish.
I have given a range for certain seasonings in the recipe so that you may adjust it to suit your individual taste.
Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
Calories 104, Total Fat 6 g (Saturated Fat 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g), Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium* 16 mg, Potassium 386 mg, Phosphorus 121 mg, Total Carbohydrate 10 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Sugars 4 g, Protein 3 g
* Not including any added salt.