Creamy Mustard Greens And Spinach Soup
Easy and aromatic mustard greens and spinach soup is infused with amazing flavors. So delicious, nutritious, low carb, gluten free and vegetarian.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup onions yellow, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic grated
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric ground
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño or Serrano, chopped
- 5 cups mustard greens fresh, chopped
- 5 cups spinach fresh, chopped
- 3 cups milk full fat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons brown butter or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a cooking pot at medium high setting. Then add cumin, coriander and fenugreek seeds. Let them turn a tan brown, making sure to prevent the seeds from getting burnt.
Next add chopped onions. Sauté until translucent and light golden brown. Then add the grated ginger, half the garlic, turmeric and chopped jalapeños. Stir for a few minutes.
In the next step, add the chopped spinach and mustard greens. Sauté the greens until they are wilted, for about 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure to not overcook the greens, which will help retain the bright color.
Then add the milk and adjust salt to taste. Turn off the heat. Transfer the soup contents to a high speed blender, such as the Vitamix. Pulse it all until it is creamy smooth. The mustard greens are tougher than spinach, so blending them to a smooth consistency will take a few minutes.
Pour the creamy soup back into the cooking pot and quickly heat it as desired. Do not simmer or cook for too long. Because, the greens may become overcooked and the soup may boil over.
Transfer the soup to a suitable serving dish
For seasoning the soup, heat brown butter in a small sauce pan. Add the remaining grated garlic. Stir for a few minutes and do not let the garlic turn brown. Take the pan away from heat and add the paprika.
Finally, drizzle the seasoning all over on top of the soup. Stir the soup just lightly.
Serve this Creamy Mustard Greens and Spinach Soup immediately with corn chips or bread.
- You may use Serrano peppers instead of jalapeños, if you prefer it to be more pungent (hot). Alternatively, you may substitute with green chilies, cracked red pepper or chili powder.
- You may use frozen greens instead of fresh greens and follow the package instructions for suitable substitutions.
Serving Size: 1 cup soup
Calories 143, Total Fat 8 g (Saturated Fat 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g), Cholesterol 16 mg, Sodium* 278 mg, Potassium 551 mg, Phosphorus 157 mg, Total Carbohydrate 13 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Sugars 8 g, Protein 6 g
* The suggested amount of salt is just a guideline and may need to be adjusted. Check for any added salt in spice mixes and other ingredients and adjust.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg