Cardamom Chickpea Cookies (Nan-e Nokhodchi)
These Persian Chickpea Cookies are buttery soft, melt-in-your-mouth, gluten free cookies that are flavored with cardamom and taste fantastic. They are so easy to make and will absolutely win you over! Traditionally also known as Nan-e Nokhodchi.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 25 Cookies
- 1/4 cup ghee (butter or light olive oil)
- 1/4 cup olive oil light
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons cardamom ground (adjust per taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon rose water (optional)
- 1 Pinch salt
- 2 cups chickpea flour roasted
- 1 tablespoon pistachios unsalted, sliced
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Combine the melted ghee, oil, sugar, cardamom, rose water and salt. Then add the roasted chickpea flour and mix well.
(You can also make your own flour by processing the roasted chickpeas in a Vitamix or a food processor).
The dough may be a bit crumbly or dry but it works. Take a smooth stainless steel tablespoon measure to shape the cookies.
Place a few pieces of pistachios in the center of the tablespoon measure. Next fill up the tablespoon with the dough and pack it really well using your fingers.
Carefully scoop out the cookie dough and place it on a parchment lined baking sheet, with the circular side and pistachios facing up.
Make sure to space the cookies at least one inch apart. Bake for about 14 to 18 minutes until slightly golden brown. You will notice a delicate cracking on the surface when the cookies are well baked.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool very well. Carefully transfer the cookies to a serving platter or storage container.
Enjoy the Chickpea Cookies with Pistachios.
- Readymade ghee is available in Indian grocery stores or online. But it can be easily prepared at home.
- To prepare ghee, melt unsalted butter and allow it to simmer at a low setting. Allow the milk solids settled at the bottom of the pan to toast to a light brown. Strain the light golden liquid ghee from the top.
- Roasted chickpea flour is available at some Persian/Middle eastern/Indian stores or online.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 91kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 0.5mg