Lentil salad with avocado is an amazingly delicious salad infused with eastern flavors. It is packed with protein, fiber, healthy fats and robust nutrients!
Lentil Salad With Avocado
There are several types of lentil salads around the world. The version here is similar to the ones prepared in the south/east Mediterranean and the middle east.
Lentils are of many kinds; quick and easy to prepare. Here, I have used the green lentils, as they cook to a firm texture without falling apart.
Lentils are an excellent source of protein, fiber, folic acid, manganese, iron and phosphorus. They are a good source of soluble fiber - which helps lower cholesterol levels. Lentils being a plant food, are a source of phytochemicals and may be beneficial in lowering the risk of obesity and heart disease.
The high fiber, folic acid and good amount of potassium make lentils a heart healthy food. Dietary fiber aids with good digestion, regularity and satiety.
Lentils provide good amount of bulk and can be part of a weight loss approach. Being a good source of selenium, lentils can support a healthy immune system and protection against cancer
All the other ingredients in this salad contribute to an impressive flavor, texture and taste. The avocados add a chunky smooth texture. I have discussed about avocados in my post about Creamy Leek Avocado Cilantro Soup.
Whether you are from the east or the west, you are going to love this easy and tasty lentil salad.
More Salad Recipes
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE COMMENT AND GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!
Spicy Lentil Salad with Avocado
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1½ cups grape tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup English cucumber diced
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin ground
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes adjust to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon pomegranate molasses optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ground black pepper as per taste
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- Cook the lentils in about twice the amount of water. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes, until the lentils are cooked well but not mushy.
- Once the lentils have cooled down a little, place it in a wide salad mixing bowl. Add the tomatoes, red bell pepper, cucumber, scallions, parsley, cilantro and mint.
- Prepare the salad dressing with the grated garlic, cumin, paprika, olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper. The pomegranate molasses may be used if preferred.
- Stir the salad dressing with all the other ingredients and toss well. Adjust the seasoning as per taste. Add the diced avocado in the end and toss.
- Let it rest at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.
- The spiced herbed lentil salad with avocado may be served over a bed of romaine lettuce.