This Spiced Herbed Lentil Salad with Avocado is a lip smacking salad infused with eastern flavors and loaded with protein, fiber, healthy fats and robust nutrients!
There are several types of lentil salads prepared all over the world. The version here is similar to the ones prepared in the south/east Mediterranean and the middle east.
Lentils are of many kinds; quick and easy to prepare. Here, I have used the green lentils, as they cook to a firm texture without falling apart.
Lentils are an excellent source of protein, fiber, folic acid, manganese, iron and phosphorus. They are a good source of soluble fiber – which helps lower cholesterol levels. Lentils being a plant food, are a source of phytochemicals and considered to be beneficial in lowering the risk of obesity and heart disease.
The high fiber, folic acid and good amount of potassium make lentils a heart healthy food. The dietary fiber also aids with good digestion, regularity and satiety.
Lentils provide good amount of bulk and fill you up, and therefore can be part of a weight loss approach. Being a good source of selenium, lentils can support a healthy immune system and protection against cancer
All the other ingredients in this salad contribute to an impressive flavor, texture and taste. The avocados add a chunky smooth texture. I have previously discussed about avocados in my post about a Creamy Leek Avocado Cilantro Soup.
Whether you are from the east or the west, I think that you are going to love this easy and tasty spiced herbed lentil salad with avocado!
- 2 cups lentils green, dry
- 1½ cups tomatoes grape, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper red, diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber English, diced
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley flat leaf, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1½ teaspoons cumin ground
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- Black pepper as per taste
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted and diced)
- Cook the lentils in about twice the amount of water. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes, until the lentils are cooked well but not mushy.
- Once the lentils have cooled down a little, place it in a wide salad mixing bowl. Add the tomatoes, red bell pepper, cucumber, scallions, parsley, cilantro and mint.
- Prepare the salad dressing with the grated garlic, cumin, paprika, olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper. The pomegranate molasses may be used if preferred.
- Stir the salad dressing with all the other ingredients and toss well. Adjust the seasoning as per taste. Add the diced avocado in the end and toss.
- Let it rest at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.
- The spiced herbed lentil salad with avocado may be served over a bed of romaine lettuce.
May use pickled cucumbers instead of fresh cucumbers.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Calories 247, Total Fat 8 g (Saturated Fat 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 6 g), Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 155 mg, Potassium 751 mg, Phosphorus 273 mg, Total Carbohydrate 32 g, Dietary Fiber 13 g, Sugars 4 g, Protein 13 g
*The sodium value may vary. The suggested amount of salt is just a guideline and may need to be adjusted. Check for any added salt in spice mixes and other ingredients and adjust.