This healthy hot chocolate is so rich, creamy, and absolutely delicious. And it is super healthy with all the goodness of walnuts and cocoa.
ABOUT CREAMY HOT CHOCOLATE WITH WALNUT MILK
Have you come across hot cocoa mixes with a zillion ingredients that you do not recognize? And they are most likely even bad for you. One can easily make a delicious cafe style hot chocolate at home without those mixes or a ton of heavy cream.
I sometimes make this rich walnut hot chocolate, where I start with plain milk, but increase its richness and creaminess with the addition of walnuts and blend it at high speed in my Vitamix.
It tastes so rich. And you are getting healthy omega 3 fats and other nutrients, while enjoying a creamy cafe style hot chocolate!
HEALTH BENEFITS – HOT CHOCOLATE WITH WALNUTS
Walnuts are nutrient dense and a source of healthy fats – monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Being a good source of fats, fiber and protein, walnuts provide satisfaction and fullness. The effective role of walnuts in weight loss has been confirmed through research studies.
Through its effects on LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels, walnuts may lower the risk of heart disease. These nuts are also a good source of certain minerals – copper, manganese, magnesium.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY HOT CHOCOLATE
It all boils down to the choice of ingredients. And it is essential to use high quality cocoa/chocolate for good taste. Choose plain unsweetened cocoa rather than any commercial mixes.
To make it richer, blend some nuts with milk. It is important to use a high speed blender to pulverize the walnuts to a fine smooth texture. Sweeten with honey, maple syrup or dates.
Use flavorings of your choice – vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange flavor, a hint of almond, a pinch of ground coffee…….. or whatever you like with chocolate. Spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, ginger etc give an added nutrition benefit.
Photography above: bijansviewfinder.com
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE COMMENT AND GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!
Tag a photo of your creation at #thedeliciouscrescent on Instagram
Healthy Hot Chocolate with Walnut Milk
- 1 ¼ cups milk reduced fat (or whole milk)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa dutch process
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips or bar, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or flavor of choice)
- 1 pinch salt
- Put the milk and walnuts in a high speed blender such as a Vitamix and blend it at high speed to a smooth creamy consistency.
- Whisk together the cocoa and about 1/4th cup walnut milk in a saucepan at medium low heat till cocoa is dissolved.
- Add the remaining walnut milk, salt, honey and stir. Then add chopped semi-sweet chocolate if you prefer. Heat it over medium setting, whisking as needed until it is hot.
- Add vanilla or any flavor of your choice. Serve with hot foamed milk and cocoa on the top.